About the Ministry
The Ministry was founded in 1993 under the name of the Ministry of Communication and Post, the ministry has undergone a number of stages, and the name of the Ministry has recently been changed after the addition of Technology, in the official Gazette Legislation No,.01 / 2018. 01/2018 and named as the Ministry of Communications and Technology.
Somaliland to be a globally competitive Digital knowledge-based economy
To facilitate universal access to ICT infrastructure and services all over the country.
The Ministry will adhere to the following core values and principals in order to achieve the planned objectives.
- Accountability and transparency
- Equity and equality
- Professionalism and ethical practices
- Teamwork and passion for results
- Honesty and integrity
- Innovativeness and creativity
- Efficiency and effectiveness
MANDATE AND FUNCTION OF THE MINISTRY
The mandate of the Ministry is as derived from the Executive Order No. 01 / 2018. 01/2018 The Somaliland Ministry of ICT mandated to carry out responsibility for implementing a system to effectively monitor the country's communications, with transparency and accountability. In order to carry out the general responsibility set out in this official Gazette Legislation No,.01 / 2018. 01/2018 Article 18: Ministry of Communication and Technology is set to have the following capabilities and functions:
- Establish and formulate policies, policies and strategies that govern the communication and technology of the country and safeguard the rights and freedoms of citizens.
- To prepare for the administration's operation and oversight of the communication plan of the country.
- Participate in and promote policies related to technological advancement and communication.
- Establishing the costs of the various fees charged by telecommunications companies operating in the country, and ensuring that these services are collected in collaboration with the relevant government agencies.
- Supervise the country's telecommunications companies and regulate the prices of telecommunications services.
- To increase the revenue and dividends imposed on companies.
- To develop knowledge of communication and technology in the country in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and Science.
- Manage the country's waves and generate a country code.
- To issue licenses for telecommunications companies operating in the country and renew licenses.
- Administer the communication between government and private communication.
- Establish a public communication site and register their addresses to promote communication and transparency with government agencies
- To work towards the interconnection of Private telecommunication
- Train various government agencies on the use and use of modern communication and technology systems.
- Promote the general policy of communication and information technology in Somaliland.
- Protect government data stored in technology, such as computers, etc.
- Conduct research on telecommunications and technology to enable the country to align with the world.
- To monitor and monitor the implementation and implementation of telecommunication laws, policies and communication plans in the country.
- to mediate and limit the abuse of the waves
- The Ministry shall represent the Government in all matters relating to communication and technology.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities assigned by the laws of the country